My Whim is Law

…where a single parent in Portland still believes that wishing will make it so…

The best mojito recipe ever…

Update #2: I have another recipe that you hordes of mojito searchers might be interested in: Chocolate Mojito Pie. Try it and let me know what you think, won’t you?

Update: I edited this post on 5/25/07 and moved it front and center for the Memorial Day weekend. See, a horde of Google searchers have descended on the site, all in search of my mojito recipe. (I’m #10! I’m #10! for a search on ‘mojito recipe’, you see…)

So I’m being a good bartender and moving it front and center. But hey, you Googlers – give me some feedback while you’re here, will you please?

After several google searches, experiments, and many taste testing excursions at more than a few places (where I shamelessly stole ideas, compared my homemade version to theirs, etc.), I’ve perfected my mojito recipe.

If you have a favorite mojito recipe, that’s great. But I have four tips for you that’ll take it to the next level – I promise:

1. Make your own mint simple syrup: 1 cup water, 1 cup sugar (use 1/3 brown sugar), heated until the sugar dissolves (you can use your microwave for this). Then let it steep with one cup of mint leaves for at least 30 minutes before you strain it & store it in your refrigerator (thanks to Food Dude for the inspiration here. I must confess that I’ve even used dried mint when fresh wasn’t available; it still did the trick.)
  2. Instead of club soda (or better yet, seltzer or sparkling water), use prosecco (italian sparkling wine – I stole the idea from local PDX restaurant Pazzo.) Or asti spumanti. Or even inexpensive champagne. Trust me on this one. Or, alternatively, try ginger beer.
  3. Add a dash or two of Angostura bitters to your drink.
  4. Consider using gold rum or dark rum instead of the light stuff (note: several mojito purists violently disagree with me on the rum switch – they insist it should be silver rum or nothing…)

And if you don’t have a favorite recipe? Try this one. Note – I used to use my beloved Magic Bullet to do a slushy version (I now have a Bella Cucina rocket blender instead), you’ll have to muddle by hand if you don’t yet have one. It’s important to go easy with the blender, though – it’s easy to over-muddle if you’re not careful.

1. In a tall, sturdy glass (or shaker), pour in 1 ounce of your simple syrup, and a handful of fresh mint leaves (6-12 – yes, even if you’ve made the mint syrup, although if you can’t get fresh mint, you can go without. See why it’s wise to make the syrup when you can…?). Muddle this together gently with the blunt instrument of your choice, then add several ice cubes (or crushed ice if you have it), & muddle it a bit more, especially if you’ve got cubes you need to break down a bit. (You’ll make crushed ice if you use your Bullet here, although you may need to add the rum as well to give it a bit more liquid to work with.)
  2. Add 1 1/2 to 2 ounces of rum, 1 ounce of lime juice (or squeeze in a couple of lime wedges and add them in) and the bitters; stir vigorously (or cover and shake if you’re using the shaker, blend for two quick pulses if you’re using the Bullet.)
  3. Pour it into a glass, top it off with a splash (or more) of sparkling wine or ginger beer (or club soda if you must), and garnish with a mint sprig or two.

Enjoy!

And if you’ve gotten this far and want to perfect your mojito, don’t go back to Google – go read the Do’s and Don’ts of mojitos from bartender Jeffrey Morgenthaler instead!

Posted in Chef Whims | 121 Comments

121 Responses to The best mojito recipe ever…

1. Uncle Buzzy says:

I too use mint simple syrup in my mojito. However, I only use the stems, preserving the leaves for the cocktail. Thnx

2. LCA and JonB says:

THANK YOU. We’d been mucking around with mediocre mojito recipes all summer before finding yours, and now we’ll never go back. Fridge is stocked with simple syrup, mint leaves, and prosecco—a beautiful sight.

3. Cheryl says:

Definitely trying this tonight! FYI number one on google search. Yay!

4. kellym says:

Made mojitos for the first time with these ideas….prosecco makes it too sweet, thus drink should be more crisp and refreshing, i loved it with peligrino (sp?) It also tastes better if you make your own simple sugar instead of using bar syrup. Steeping the mint is a must do! And 1 1/2 oz of GOLD (nor dark) rum is best. 2 drinks and i was set for the night. Thank you for this recipe, i love this drink!

5. kellym says:

I meant silver rum…

6. jila says:

oh! thanks for the mint syrup recipe..loved the idea about using the stems…it’s just as good!
    thank you. i think i drank the most…..

7. Noah says:

I actually use san pelligrino ‘limonata’ (it’s their lemon spritzer type mineral water) if you do go that way, cut down on the simple syrup just a little though, limonata is sweet… but not super sweet.

Also if you want to get real crazy (or aren’t a rum person) drop the rum and pick up the gin, hendrick’s is my fav. for gin mojitos, it seems to play off the citrus and mint better than the others I’ve had.

8. david says:

very nice blog, I am glad I found it

9. mary says:

I was trying to find a mojito recipe that has a sub for fresh mint. Local stores do not have it and I am almost out with what I have grown, been using a lot for my ‘Southern Addiction Mint Julep’ recipe. Have never tried a mojito but I will if I can find enough mint. I will be making the mint simple syrup with the stems, thanks for the ideas.

10. phalanges1972 says:

Hmm, an entire cup of mint…Guess i need to stop by Publix! Sounds like a good mix there. And Yes its still the #1 Google result!
    Using some Kraken dark rum. And carbonated beverages mixed with this is just cheap. SO I am hopeful this will woop up a superior mojito!

11. Brad Beach says:

Here is how you make an Authentic Cuban Mojito / Auténtico Mojito Cubano: http://bradbea.ch/mojito

12. Brian says:

That sounds great.. Been dying for a good mojito since my cruise in August.. I have a bottle of rum and yes it is only 34* out right now but whatever, screw it, I have a bottle of Bacardi, i’m off of work tomorrow and I’m still dying for a good mojito. So I hope you won’t disappoint me here! I’m off to wegmans with hopes of finding fresh mint leaves in November..

13. Kim says:

Super idea to make the mint syrup with some brown sugar…thank you!
    I make mojitos with Flor de Cana Extra Dry Rum. Delicious!

14. Philip says:

Another idea to add to the awesomeness – before making the simple syrup, whirl the sugar(s) and mint in the food processor for a bit. Gives the syrup a nice green tinge and it intensifies the mint in the finished syrup. Also works great if you don’t have time to make and cool the syrup – just use the now-fine sugar that’s infused with the mint oils directly in the cocktail. The sugar dissolves easier than regular table sugar because it’s finer, and the food processor action gives way more extraction of the oils than muddling will ever do.

15. mojitolover says:

i came here researching about whether to buy Angostura or not for a mojito party tomorrow and after reading all the comments thread I had to go to the kitchen and make myself a mojito, guess the party will be starting earlier than expected :D

im from spain and here everybody uses sugar to make them, even in the cuban bars and restaurants but your recipe sounds delicious so im willing to give it a try too

i think dark rhum works fine especially if your using brown sugar in the mojito

16. mojitolover says:

sorry i meant “your mint syrup recipe sounds delicious”

17. ApokalypseCow says:

When using an aged rum, the bitters, and a champagne, technically you are making an Old Cuban instead of a Mojito.

18. MoMake says:

thanks for your special recipe for mojito, im not sure about using prosecco instead club soda or simple sparkling water :/ but I will give it a try :)

19. Missy says:

I found this recipe in 2009 and made it for a raft-up of boating friends. Now every time there is a gathering, whether on land or at sea, this is the #1 request. I always use prosecco, but as I have recently discovered dark n’ stormy’s, I may try ginger beer instead for today’s 4th of July party. Thanks for the recipe!

20. Mimi says:

I love this mojito recipe. I find I have become quite a mojito snob and can’t even order them when I’m out because they never compare to this recipe. I am now growing mint in my backyard for mojitos anytime! Thank you! :)

21. Reu Dhine says:

I like the added rum a recipe the big boys. I hope i can consider this recipe to have in my food catering service. I live in San Antonio. Thanks for a wonderful post!

Surely you're not going to let me have the last word - are you?

%d bloggers like this: